THE GLOBAL ASSOCIATION FOR A CHANGING WORLD
The International Advertising Association is the only worldwide tripartite association representing the common interests of advertisers, advertising agencies and the media.
New legislation against advertising and marketing communications is threatened all the time, all over the world. The industry is under constant threat, especially in Europe where legislative activity is most vigorous.
IAA MISSION STATEMENT
- Promote among governments and consumers the awareness of the vital role of advertising communications in the development of healthy economies.
- Protect the freedom of commercial speech and consumer choice to ensure that goods and services legally produced and sold can be advertised.
- Initiate and contribute to efforts to prevent unwarranted restrictions of all kinds on advertising and marketing communications, including both national and cross-border restrictions.
- Encourage and promote self-regulation.
- Over 2,800 members in 78 countries:
ASIA/PACIFIC – 21%
EUROPE – 46%
LATIN AMERICA – 14%
MIDDLE EAST/AFRICA – 9%
US/CANADA – 10%
- 92 Corporate Members
- 35 Organizational Members
- 39 Chapters in 38 countries
- World Secretariat in New York.
And membership is growing throughout Eastern Europe – a new chapter has been inaugurated in Hungary and members at large are located in Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, the USSR and Yugoslavia.
IAA MODUS OPERANDI
- Works with international, national, and regional tripartites – the European Advertising Tripartite (EAT), the UK’s Advertising Association (AA), Germany’s ZAW, and the American Advertising Federation (AAF).
- Serves as liaison with national governments and intergovernmental organizations to speak out against attacks of unwarranted restrictions on advertising.
- Advocates national systems of advertising self-regulation.
- Promotes highest levels of advertising’s global role through public affairs, public service campaigns, education programs, and World Congresses.
Originally published in GATEWAYS to Reconstruction